Thursday, June 7, 2012

Osiris, Venus, Police and Pull Tabs


I'm sure many of you have heard of the transit of Venus that occurred on June 5th.  I had been eagerly awaiting this planetary alignment for some time now.  Quite a while back I had acquired an ancient Osirian papyrus scroll that would identify the location of a great hidden artifact on this particular occurrence.  According to the scroll, the projected image of the sun was to be oriented to a map on it's reverse.  One hour into the transit the dot created by Venus would indicate the location of this priceless artifact.  Ten minutes before the transit was to occur I set up a test using my telescope and projected this image of the sun onto a piece of paper. However, when the time came for Venus to move into its position, dark storm clouds rolled in and obscured the sun foiling the last opportunity to uncover this ancient mystery for the next 115 years. So I grabbed my metal detector and headed to the park on Ohio Ave.  

When I arrived, there were quite a few people despite the overcast skies.  Being my first time out in public I took my gear to the far side of the park to begin detecting in the hopes of avoiding contact with anyone.  This didn't work.  There is a walking path around the park and I got a lot of questions as people were passing by.  "Find anything?" "Some pennies."  "How much does that cost?" "150 dollars."  or my favorite comment "I've seen people do that on a beach but never in a park."  I'm not really sure what the law has to say about digging holes in park so I was a little nervous when a police cruiser pulled in.  They parked for a while and then left.  I took this as direct permission from the Cincinnati Police Department to continue my work.

I only spent an hour at the park but got many hits.  Some recent vintage pennies and dimes, a bolt, some trash and of course pull tabs.  I'm getting better at telling the pull tabs from coins, but I dig them anyways because I have yet to hear the sound a gold ring will make and would hate to miss finding one.

I don't want to put a monetary number on my findings, but I will... 75 cents... that's it.  At this rate the detector will pay for itself in approximately 198 more outings.  After that it's all profit.  Money in the bank folks.  Money in the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment