Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Recent Finds and Picnic Trash

Since I found the hatchet there's been only a few notable finds. Below is an old key and tube of AVON lipstick that a friend and I found in her backyard.



The key, although not terribly impressive, is from the Independent Lock Company. After some research I found out they made some pretty cool advancements in locks and keys during the first half of the 1900s. The lipstick is AVON's pink tinge and looks to be from around the 1950s or 60s. I'm totally taking a guess on the age but it seems similar to other AVON products from that time period. After cleaning it I was able to open the tube. To my surprise there was still a little bit of the lipstick left, although it was melted and smelled pretty bad. Here is a picture of the rest of the items we found that day.



I also went hiking/hunting around a dog park in Mt. Airy. All I found was trash and a knife. The truth is my friend found the knife tucked between some rocks without the aid of the detector. I claimed it as my find though, because I hadn't found anything except a bunch of trash around an old picnic area and she was just going to throw it away. Although some of the trash was interesting (see below), I decided I wasn't going to search anymore because my trash bag was getting full and heavy.


There was an old cheese spray container, some kind of canned meat, some soda cans and a Sterno lid.

On a side note, I will mention the futility of trying to fill in a hole while in the company of a dog that loves to dig holes. It's kind of like trying to fill a bucket that has holes in it with water. Speaking of water here's one more picture from the hike, just for fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment