Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Laser and a Hatchet

On Friday I went to another park on Ravine Street.  Pretty much the same old same old, but I did find this laser.  Besides the laser and the usual trash, I ended up with a total of 70 cents in quarters, dimes and pennies.  I also found a chunk of molten metal.  I'm not sure what kind of metal it is and I should probably just throw it away, but why start now.

Cincinnati ca. 1910


I determined that if I want to find anything old I was going to have to start hunting elsewhere.  I found this old map of Cincinnati at an antique mall a few weeks back.  I understand my map credibility may be a bit tarnished after the last post but I assure you I really do have a map this time.  There is some photo evidence to the left if you still don't believe me.  Anyways, I noticed the two parks that I had visited are not on it, however Burnett Woods is.  Apparently it was about twice the size it is now, but UC is now located where the southern half used to be.  So I planned to go to there on Saturday and do some searching in the woods.

When I arrived on Saturday, I found a trail and started looking for places off the beaten path to search.  I was looking for level areas underneath large trees where perhaps years before someone may have shaded themselves on a sunny day.  At first I was finding many of the same items I did at the other parks.  Then I cranked up the Ace 150's sensitivity and started digging on deeper objects.  I started finding old style beer cans, mostly Miller High Life.  I had found plenty of the pull tabs from that style can but no cans so it was a little exciting.  Then the detector was giving me a strong "coin" signal at 6+ inches.  I began digging and found an old lath hatchet head about 8 inches down.


Up until now I had only found newer trash and coins so needless to say, this was extremely encouraging.  The hatchet was in pretty rough shape so I'm trying to clean it using an electrolysis method I read about online.  I'll put up some more photos after I'm finished cleaning it.  

I also found a hubcap about 1 foot down and 64 cents in modern change, but nothing else worth mentioning.  I plan on going back there often this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment